“How We Broke Democracy (But Not in the Way You Think)” @TobiasRose https://medium.com/@tobiasrose/empathy-to-democracy-b7f04ab57eee
The piece above helped cement some ideas they’ve been floating in my head for some time.
- We live within echo chambers, information and idea-wise. Algorithmic newsfeeds drive this with vigor. It’s hard to break free
- Humanity seems drawn towards comfort. Comfortable ideas, thoughts, foods…and resist variations with vigor.
- With that, our culture keeps moving towards ease of offense. Exposure to conflicting ideas elicits very strong fears, and, thus rage. Most don’t like this sensation and respond by retracting into their data bubbles.
- Sadly, this behavior is counter to what needs to happen for community to grow.
- All this helps explain the intense shock felt upon Trump’s election.
Good insights in the article. It’s well worth the read.